Choose your own reality!

Well, I spent an entire Sunday writing, and as a result, I finished a mini non-fiction book titled “Choose your own reality.” Within four days I edited it and published it.

(2014 Update: Choose Your Own Reality is now a bonus book that can be found at the end of The Doorway to PAM, which you can buy in paperback and on Kindle. It is also included in the Visionary Collection Kindle boxset)

It was quite an amazing feeling, sitting in the sunshine, writing while the birds chirped away. Definitely something I plan on doing more of in the near future.

As for my novel, I have just finished another edit, but plan on doing one more before publishing, and have a friend designing the cover, so will need to rendezvous with her on that, but it seems like everything is on track to publish by the 1st July. Might even be able to do it sooner, though I’d like to get the website up and running first. Just need to work out a marketing plan too, this is definitely one of my weak points, so I may need to enlist the help of some friends to get the word out about my novel.

Well, I’m having a very lazy sunday right now, so I think I’d better be useful and tackle the mountain of washing up!

The Beginning…

Ah, the first post, always a tricky one! Well it’s not quite 2011 yet, but I thought it would be a good idea to begin now, with the journey up until now…

It all started on a train journey from New York City to Westchester, when I started to read Chris Baty’s book ‘No Plot? No Problem!’. The concept of writing 50,000 words in a month very much appealed to me, even though the longest piece I’d written up until then had been 18,000 words. It was only March at the time, and I decided that I couldn’t possibly wait until November, the official novelling month, and so set the challenge for April. After a week of planning, I began writing the novel in the airport and on the plane home to England on April 1st, 2009. After a month, I had 40,000 words, and was only half way through the story. I continued in the same vein through May and by the 2nd of July I had a 96,000 word novel.

I let it sit for a while, having got severe RSI in both hands! A couple of months later I did some editing, and also had a friend look through it for me. I then probably made the rookie mistake that many new writers have done – I started sending it out (via e-mail) to agents on publishers. I got a few replies, and though polite, were rejections. I left it for a few more months, then decided to get a few more opinions, having realised that only two people had read the entire thing from start to finish, not a great idea. So, armed with a new printer and cheap ink, I printed a few copies and sent them  out to some more friends, and they gave me feedback not only on grammatical errors but a few other points too. The overall response was very positive though, and they all asked to read the sequel, which then gave me my subject matter for the 2010 Nanowrimo.

Which is the subject of another post! The point I am at now, is of polishing the manuscript, writing the front pages, then setting it out ready to upload it to a self-publishing Print on Demand website.

Well, before this turns into a novel itself, I will end this post, and will update in the New Year. Merry Christmas!